February 19, 2009

Toxic Hairspray

Nothing makes me madder than to think about all the chemicals we put into the atmosphere and into our bodies everyday. A lot of people never think about this and even more never look at an ingredient list of what they are using.
I pulled an old bottle of hairspray out of the cabinet today, one that had gotten pushed back into the unknown. It was there because a couple years ago I decided to find out what was in it and it made me sick. There were chemicals I couldn't pronounce and some that just by looking I knew were bad. Now, by knowing that my skin is the largest organ and every thing put on it goes right to my liver, my lungs, heart and everywhere else I had to stop. Then I thought how I was getting extra doses because the hair "spray" was being absorbed by my eyes and then of course I had to breathe while I was in the tiny bathroom, spraying my hair. Oh, and the dog got his dose too, because he has to go everywhere with me. Some of the ingredients are listed below but there are more. I could go on and on, but I hope you will get the point.
I also want to point out this fact; One chemical might not be to bad all alone but what happens when you mix it with something else?
What reaction do you get when you mix 8 chemicals in your shampoo with 15 chemicals in your mouse and another 15 in your hairspray?

Alcohol: acts as carrying and anti foaming agent, fast drying, water and oil solvent, if synthetically produced is carcinogenic, mutagen, toxic, adverse reactions

Benzyl acetate: carcinogenic, linked to pancreatic cancer, from vapours irritating to eyes and respiratory passages, exciting cough, can be absorbed through the skin causing systemic effects, do not flush to sewer, used in perfume, cologne, shampoo, fabric softener, stickup air freshener, dishwashing liquid and detergent, soap, hairspray, bleach, after shave, deodorant.

benzyl salicylate; Irritant
Irritating to eyes, respiratory system, and skin.
May cause sensitization by skin contact.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Avoid contact with skin.
In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice.
Wear suitable protective clothing.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post! I use Aveda products which I think are a bit kinder and not so chemical laden but maybe I have just lured myself into a false sense of hope. I will have to check out my label! Hope you are well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For hair care I have been using 365 from Whole Foods. It still has some things I haven't looked up yet but is free of artificial colors, parabens (preservative maybe linked to cancer)and fragrances.

    ReplyDelete